Have you ever wished for more floor space? Or how about bigger, taller windows? Raising your roof or adding a second floor is a fantastic investment whether you plan on living in your home for the rest of your life, or if you plan on selling it in the near future. You may want to read on and see if raising your roof is the right move for you.
Benefits of Raising Your Roof
There are many benefits to raising your roof, adding structure, or adding another level to your house.
- Raising your roof expands your current floor space, making room for more storage or a growing family.
- Higher ceilings make the dimensions of a room seem larger.
- Increasing the height of the roof expands the way you can organize overhead lighting and works of art on the upper walls.
- Raising a roof allows you to add new doors and windows for increased visual interest and sense of comfort.
- Your home will become more energy efficient. As the seasons change, the trend to save money will always stay the same. Lower your bills and save the environment at the same time.
- Adding height to the ceiling allows you also to place larger windows which provide a lot of light.
- Heating a room will become easier.
- Improve the livability of your house. Adding square footage or height will change the entire vibe of your home, making it seem like a new house altogether.
- Create a vaulted or cathedral ceiling, adding depth, dimension, and architectural interest to your favorite rooms.
- Increase the value of your home.
How a Roof is Raised
The first question you need to ask is can you raise the roof? You first must make sure it’s actually feasible in your house’s existing condition. If you don’t have an attic, you’ll need to check the original plans of your house to figure out your roof’s structure. If you do have an attic, it’s likely that you won’t have an issue with raising your roof. If you want to be certain or if you want to discuss other options, we’re always available for consultations.
Raising your roof involves adding an unforeseen load to an existing building. It is necessary to call in the experts so that they can study in detail the structure of the building and the land on which it sits to find the ideal constructive solution.
To raise your roof, the experts at Josh Smalling Roofing and Restoration will do some structural reinforcement and alterations that are necessary. That is essential because when designing a house, you must correctly approach the distribution of the load on the support beams and the walls. It’s also crucial that your house meet certain codes for safety. This requires building permits, which we will gladly take care of. You’ll need to think about legalities, municipalities, or any HOA requirements that you’ll need to take into consideration. It’s a lot of legwork for homeowners, which is why we do it for you.
If you’re thinking of adding another level or changing the structure of your home, call Josh Smalling Roofing and Restoration today at 317-483-3093.