Have you ever wondered what to do in a case of strong hail?
Hail can fall anytime during the year, not just during the warm months. If the hail is big enough, chances are your roof is going to take some damage.
How Does Hail Damage a Roof?
If your roof is shingled, hail can quickly cause critical damage. When the hail hits your roof, it can be powerful enough to loosen the granule bond to the asphalt layer.
How Can You Tell if the Roof has Been Damaged by Hail?
When the hail loosens the bond, the granules can be found in your gutter. If you see any accumulation of granules in your gutter, it’s time to give us a call at 317-483-3093.
Here are some other ways you can detect hail damage:
- Check your mailbox for dents or damage.
- How does your siding look? Inspect it thoroughly for cracks or dents.
- Your driveway can show splatter marks after hail damage. You may see marks that are light in color, or spots where dirt has been removed.
- Your gutters and downspouts can get dinged up, so check them for damage or dimples.
- Hail can easily destroy window screen mesh. Check for holes or slices.
- Metal doors could show damage by chipped paint or dents.
- Shredded flowers and plants.Hail storms can ruin flowerbeds or gardens. Flowers and other shrubbery might look trampled down.
- If you or your neighbors left vehicles outside during a hail storm, you’ll notice dings, dents, and paint chips on cars.
Hail damage isn’t just an outside worry. It can damage the inside of your home if left unfixed. If you think old hail damage might be affecting the interior of your home, here are some signs to look for:
- Water stains could show up anywhere if there is a leak. Check walls, ceilings, inside closets, and in or around light fixtures.
- If you find water actively leaking anywhere, call Josh Smalling Roofing and Restoration today at 317-483-3093. Let us repair damage and help you prevent future problems.
- Mold and mildew. If you didn’t notice a leak right away, you might find mold or mildew growing on walls or ceilings.
- Wet insulation. Check your attic for wet insulation.
Why You Need an Inspection Immediately
If you think hail might have damaged your roof, don’t delay contacting us for help.
If you don’t have an expert come check out your roof after a hail storm, the damage done to the roof could increase. UV rays from the sun will find the already-weakened spots and will make the spots even more brittle and damaged. Once this happens, it is likely that you will see leaks or additional wind damage. The effects of sun exposure may not even be evident for up to a whole year.
Once your roof begins leaking, the damage can be extensive. Leaks can cause wall and ceiling damage, mold and fungus, and even electrical issues.
If you think that there might even be a little bit of damage after a hail storm, it’s essential to have an inspection right away.
Call us now to prepare your roof for spring showers.